Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I'm not sure what I should title this entry.....

It should either be:

'I got my panties all in a wad quite unjustifiably'

or

'Boy did I need a major attitude adjustment....good thing I don't know any mind readers!'



I spend a great deal of my work life in meetings...meetings with my work group (weekly), meetings with project teams (a minimum of 3 times a week), meetings with our department VP (about once every 6 weeks), meetings with our division's executive VP(about once a quarter), town hall meetings with our CEO (also about once a quarter). Monday was one of those meetings with our department VP. It's usually a two hour meeting. Those of us who are local attend the meeting in person in a conference room. Our team members in Europe call in to a conference/bridge number and connect to a web meeting so that they can view any presentations that are given.

Our department is a developmental group...we do programming and quality assurance and deliver/release various software products to our internal and external customers. We had two guests at this weeks meeting who are from the marketing division. At the end of the guest presentations and after our VP did her presentation, several people were being recognized for various things. As I looked at the slides I was starting to get boiling mad that my team wasn't being recognized. We've worked very hard and put in a lot of extra hours recently and I was incensed that we were being overlooked.

I couldn't even bring myself to clap as the names/accomplishments were read (even though I knew several of the people). I was actually considering walking out when a new slide came up. In anger I scanned it to feed my anger when much to my surprise my name was in the middle of the new page. And it wasn't there as a part of any group being recognized, I'd been singled out for my contributions to three facets of the long term project I'd been working on.

Boy did I feel foolish for the walk out/protest I was planning! At the end of the meeting my new boss came up to me and gave me a hug. That was a feel good moment since I don't feel like I've established a rapport with her yet since I was moved into her group on August 1st when our division underwent a manor reorganization! It really did feel good to finally get some personal recognition after being on this project for the past two years !

The meeting was followed by a departmental holiday potluck...our VP's administrative assistant had beautifully decorated the atrium hallway on our floor....the company provided ham and turkey and had lots of good food brought in by my peers! So the first 4 hours of my day yesterday were pretty darn good! I had an hour to recover before my next (and last) meeting of the day and then I went home early! :)

3 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Yep, Yep there's our Viv SUPERstar!!! I think I'm going to like this boss after all! You did good holding tight to that chair Vivster. It'll maybe come up again one day when you are telling your grandchildren the virtue of patience! You might add in there also a note about getting a certain number of hours sleep! Hehehe yah, you would know we'd go there!

xoxoxox
Us

Astaryth said...

ROFL! Patience isn't one of my virtues either! Glad you got the recognition you deserved though

I saw in First Person Plural you wanted help getting stuff in your sidebar... Did any one send you the help? If not, e-mail me at Astaryth@aol.com and we'll get you sorted out ;) I didn't want to just send you instructions if someone already had!

jennifer said...

LOL I have also learned to wait until the story is over before I start tearing it apart.

Pot luck. Ain't no better eating than that!